Tuesday 24 March 2015

Project updates

Project Progress
Project Progress: PERL5
This is an update about my project progress in SPO600

Ruled out

In my previous post I mentioned three areas, The tail call optimization, Regex super - linear cache and inline assembly. After contacting the perl5 community on irc it seems that the tail call optimization portion should not be there, therefore it has been ruled out. I mailed the mailing list about any suggestions regarding the inline assembly portion and any other ideas they had but I have not received word back as of now. I kind of ruled out this assembly code for now unless further information comes up to suggest it has potential.

Moving on

In proceeding with this project I have not narrowed down or progressed as much as I would have liked to by this time, I am just spinning my wheels. For now I will work at understanding how I could improve the regex engine while also exploring other packages to see if I can find some more straightforward things to accomplish. Ideally I would like to find places I could use inline assembly optimizations or compiler intrinsics, both of which we have been looking at recently in the SPO600 course.

No comments:

Post a Comment